Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Newsweek Error

Default The Newsweek Error

Lots in the news and from the Administration about the error that preceded deadly riots in Afghanistan and elsewhere in the Middle East. Does seem strange that officials, like Rumsfeld, who managed the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, are worried now about the "damage" to the reputation of America in the Muslim world - as if blowing up civilians from stealth bombers is less damaging than an erroneous news report.

Looks like there's plenty of blame to share here - but I bet the Administration fails to acknowledge its contributions to this sad mess.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051500605.html

"There had been previous reports about the Koran being defiled, but they always seemed to be rumors or allegations made by sources without evidence," Whitaker said, referring to reporting by British and Russian news agencies and by the Qatar-based satellite network al-Jazeera. The Washington Post, whose parent company owns Newsweek, reported a similar account in March 2003, attributing it to a group of former detainees. "The fact that a knowledgeable source within the U.S. government was telling us the government itself had knowledge of this was newsworthy," Whitaker said in an interview.

He said that a senior Pentagon official, for reasons that "are still a little mysterious to us," had declined to comment after Newsweek correspondent John Barry showed him a draft before the item was published and asked, "Is this accurate or not?" Whitaker added that the magazine would have held off had military spokesmen made such a request. That official "lacked detailed knowledge" of the investigative report, Newsweek now says. Whitaker said Pentagon officials raised no objection to the story for 11 days after it was published, until it was translated by some Arab media outlets and led to the rioting.
    (emphasis added)

Take Care -

ZC
    "The founding fathers, in their wisdom, devised a method by which our republic can take one hundred of its most prominent numbskulls and keep them out of the private sector where they might do actual harm." -- P.J. O'Rourke

It's the reporter's job to verify what he prints is accurate, not the Pentagons. The Pentagon's job is to kill scumbag Islamofacists.

Newsweak lied, people died.

Newsweak and Isikoff will suffer a tremendous amount of monetary damage by the time their treasonous deed runs it's course.

Watch and learn what happens to lying leftists.

He said that a senior Pentagon official, for reasons that "are still a little mysterious to us," had declined to comment after Newsweek correspondent John Barry showed him a draft before the item was published and asked, "Is this accurate or not?" Whitaker added that the magazine would have held off had military spokesmen made such a request. That official "lacked detailed knowledge" of the investigative report, Newsweek now says. Whitaker said Pentagon officials raised no objection to the story for 11 days after it was published, until it was translated by some Arab media outlets and led to the rioting.[/i]
    It was the responsibility of Newsweek to make sure the article they published was accurate. Going to a source and saying "Is this true?" is not good fact checking. This is along the same lines of what Dan Rather and the CBS news team did concerning "Rathergate". If a news outlet is going to run a story, then they need to make sure they have covered all the bases in the confirmation stage. They can't simply come back when they are proved wrong and say "But they didn't deny it!"

If I were to write an article about how the Broncos were moving to L.A. and one of the few fact checking exercises I used was showing the letter to the Broncos organization and taking their silence as an affirmation, then I haven't done my job at all.

Default In the toilet . . .

Sometimes I agree with Rusty, sometimes I don't . . but in this case, I think he's close enough, that I won't have to work too hard on this one:

Quoteth . . .

(...) Sure, Newsweek did what the mainstream media does best in a world that places more importance on getting the story out first than on getting the story out right;* they researched, wrote a piece, trashed the administration and our country, trashed the reputation of our military, and got the story out to the world - wrongly. Subsequently, sparked by a single paragraph in Newsweek alleging that US military interrogators had desecrated the Koran, a wave of anti-American demonstrations swept the Islamic world from the Gaza Strip to the Java Sea. In the past week it was condemned in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Malaysia and by the Arab League, and on Sunday, Afghan Muslim clerics threatened to call for a holy war against the United States. Think about it, this is from a sub-population of our planet that refers to themselves as peaceful? What does this say about their culture, their thoughtfulness, their mindset, their ability for rational thought and their suitability to join in the rest of mankind in making our planet a better place to live ?

(...)* Newsweek got it wrong, the Arab press never bothered to verify the alleged toilet episode any more than did Newsweek, and the mindless, tantrum-like violence sparked by the false story showed all of us the true face of the Islamic culture today - a sick and violence-prone society, enveloped and characterized more by hate than by love of God and humanity, and badly in need of reform.

Unquoteth . . . "Rusty Shakleford; My Pet Jawa"

And Zen, there are no "Civilians" in the Arab World, they just proved it again, for about the "Hundredth" time!
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Default As the Story Turns

Let's see, last week it was the opinion of the senior American military official in Afghanistan that the riots would have taken place anyhow.

http://www.defenselink.mil/transcrip...ecdef2761.html

Presenter: Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld and Air Force General Richard Myers, Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff. Thursday, May 12, 2005 2:00 p.m. EDT

Q: Do either one of you have anything about the demonstrations in Afghanistan, which were apparently sparked by reports that there was a lack of respect by some interrogators at Guantanamo for the Koran. Do either one of you have anything to say about that?

GEN. MYERS: It's the -- it's a judgment of our commander in Afghanistan, General Eikenberry, that in fact the violence that we saw in Jalalabad was not necessarily the result of the allegations about disrespect for the Koran -- and I'll get to that in just a minute -- but more tied up in the political process and the reconciliation process that President Karzai and his Cabinet is conducting in Afghanistan. So that's -- that was his judgment today in an after- action of that violence. He didn't -- he thought it was not at all tied to the article in the magazine.

This week, all that's forgotten and the Adminstration is wailing on Newsweek for single-handedly igniting riots in the Muslim world. The comments of Mr. McClellan are especially interesting since his office in the White House is the one that authorized gay prostitute-turned-GOP Journalist Jeff Gannon to attend White House briefings for over two years. "Standards"? Hmm...

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/..._05-16-05.html (excerpts)

White House spokesman Scott McClellan on Monday said Newsweek's initial response was puzzling, saying the story had not met journalistic standards by relying on a single anonymous source "who could not personally substantiate the allegation that was made."

"The report has had serious consequences," McClellan said. "People have lost their lives. The image of the United States abroad has been damaged."

Wait a minute...I'm confused...was it that that article didn't matter, as our General Eikenberry said, or that Newsweek sparked a mini-bloodbath, as Mr. McClellan said?

Speaking of the military side of the story...

In a statement, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the original story was "demonstrably false" and "irresponsible," and "had significant consequences that reverberated throughout Muslim communities around the world."

"Unfortunately, they cannot retract the damage they have done to this nation or those that were viciously attacked by those false allegations," he said, reported the AP.

So I guess General Myers & General Eikenberry or Mr. McClellan & Mr. Whitman is correct and Newsweek did or did not damage the USA's reputation and/or did or did not lead to deadly riots.

Tough to keep up.

Just one more note about the "credibility" issue of Newsweek's principal reporter on the Gitmo story. His name is Michael Isikoff. Some may recall that he was the reporter Linda Tripp of Lewinsky-gate kept on speed dial.

http://www.ajr.org/Article.asp?id=508

From AJR, December 1998 issue
    The Isikoff Factor

Newsweek reporter Michael Isikoff's stories and inquiries played a major role in shaping developments on the road toward impeachment.

By Alicia C. Shepard
    Alicia C. Shepard is a former AJR senior writer.

HE DIDN'T "BREAK" THE STORY ABOUT THE PRESIDENT and the intern, but that's a technicality. Michael Isikoff was the first journalist to learn of the liaison between President Clinton and former White House intern Monica Lewinsky--long before Matt Drudge revealed online in January that Newsweek had held up Isikoff's initial story on the saga (see ``A Scandal Unfolds," March).

Seems his use of one source back then was pretty okey-dokey with Republicans and others, but now...

Take Care -

ZC
    "The founding fathers, in their wisdom, devised a method by which our republic can take one hundred of its most prominent numbskulls and keep them out of the private sector where they might do actual harm." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Default Get your facts straight, liar leftist

Isikoff sat on the story on instructions from his editors who did not want the rapist treasonous scumbag president harmed.

News Weak only went ahead with the story after it was broke, and big news.

News Weak is and always has been a biased for leftists rag, and now everyone knows it. No credibility.

News Weaks editorial agenda has been to harm America and the patriotic right with whatever they could get away with, and are laughing about the harm they have now caused and about the deaths of our troops in the near future due to their untruthful reporting.

Default Afghan Prez Says Newsweek Not to Blame

In a press conference with President Bush, President Karzi states the riots were not the result of the Newsweek article. He did criticize the magazine for placing the items in "a gossip" article, though.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea.../20050523.html

PRESIDENT KARZAI: Ma'am, yes, we discussed those questions on the -- on the demonstrations, or the so-called demonstrations in part of the -- parts of Afghanistan. You saw that government buildings were burned and private property was damaged, broken. Those demonstrations were, in reality, not related to the Newsweek story. They were more against the elections in Afghanistan; they were more against the progress in Afghanistan; they were more against the strategic partnership with the United States. (emphasis added)

Take Care -

ZC

Quote Originally Posted by Hell To Pay
    ...the patriotic right...
    This made me laugh out loud.

Default Spit at a US Soldier lately?

So how many conservatives have you seen burning the US flag lately Steve? Please elaborate.

I can show you many recent photos of leftists such as Zen's "noble" Stalinists at ANSWER desecrating the US flag.

BTW, Here is the latest News-weak cover, which the leftist Zen will surely applaud, an International Edition, this one happens to be in Japanese. It translates to "AMERICA FORSAKEN-The Day America Died — The ideal of ‘freedom’ falls to the ground due to Bush continuing in office."

This is the American Edition.

The Democrat biased leftist publications of the Washington Post hate the right so much, they would crap on the patriotic symbols of our nation, portray the US badly as to be loathed internationally, and put our boys at war in body bags just so they can smear Bush.

Do you find that funny too, Steve?

Default Is it even possible?

I was just wondering, is it even possible to flush something the size of the Koran down the loo? I'm guessing not, unless maybe it is dismantled first. One thing is for sure though, between the photos we saw from Abu Ghraib and Sadam in his tidy-whites surely there are plenty of nitwits to go around. Surely the press had to know that the Arab world would have a coniption fit over those pics. I did find it amazing that all the "legitimate media" showed pictures of the pictures as if that was somehow less offensive to present a picture of the cover of that British rag.

Of course, I would love for "W" to explain just who is running the show. I mean really, bad intelligence to go to war. Then the prison scandal. Now Sadam in his drawers. It is one thing for the press to run the photos, but I want to know why these pictures even exist in the first place, and instead of whining about the media running embarrassing pics, I want my President to prevent these actions and the resulting pictures from happening in the first place. I think everyone believed the Koran in the toilet story precisely because nobody seems to be in charge, and there are pics to prove it in the other instances.

Just a guess on my part, but I'd bet some guy threatened to flush the Koran if somebody didn't co-operate, and that was probably the extent of that whole thing. I guess Bush never heard the phrase "loose lips sink ships", or if he has, he hasn't made it clear to Rummy and his underlings.
    Moral Compass: pointing to living a moral life with mercy and love leading the way.