PDA

View Full Version : What I did last week . .

large
05-05-2011, 06:30 PM
A donation of labor to the Weisbrod Aircraft Museum . . We removed and repainted the nose art on "Peachy" . .

Bob Nattering
05-06-2011, 04:54 AM
Very Classy! Top Notch!

I'm curious about some of the nuts and bolts part of your work. Do you apply each color sequentially and if so, is there a drying time in between colors? Do you use regular compressed air or do you use pressurized gas cylinders of some propellant other than air? Do you need supplemental lighting in a big hanger like that?

And one tongue-in-cheek question: All of the scaffolding met OSHA requirements?

large
05-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Nah, it's all pretty up front. On a deal like this, because of size, you mask and work out from the back. Sky first, then Wheel, wet on wet, and so on. I do accelerate the drying time with higher volatility reducers to a degree. I have that luxury because the aircraft will seldom if ever, see the light of day, so weathering and adhesion aren't as much of a problem.

The paint is applied by several mediums. Masking is probably the hardest to figure out. You have to mask it so it comes off "backwards", wheel, body, clothes, details, if you're going to work wet on wet. The sky was done with a sponge, starting with white and then a light blue and then darkening it. The wheel was done with a brush, using several tones of Brown and tan. The body (or flesh tones) were blocked in with a flat brush and then air brushed, Same with the clothes. But once I had gotten the body blocked in, the surrounding areas were all wet or tacky so it was time to knock off and let it dry.

Anyway, it took about three "drying steps" (or days) to keep from dragging a finger through the wet paint.

The air was just a little craftsman 3hp buzz box and a small mechanical air dryer works for most air brush work. Airbrushes only require about 12-18 psi when you're doing stuff like this with One Shot Enamels. You don't want a lot of overspray.

As for light, the hangar has plenty of diffused natural light as well as halogen supplemental area lighting.

I guess age and technology changes things. In 1976 I painted the original nose art on the plane when it was outside. I wiped the area down with vinegar and painted it all with brushes. I worked from an old Brownie Photo that was about 2 X 3 and used a ladder . . it took two days. This time I had a power scaffold, compressed air, working inside, used a full size pattern generated by computer, plus all of the above . . it took 6 days . . Go figure . . And, Yes, Bob, the Power Scaffold did meet all OSHA requirements. It is loaned to the museum by RSC as an annual donation, I believe . .

Of course, it wasn't 8 hour days either. Back in '76, I started very early in the AM, and if I remember correctly, worked about 9-10 hours on the first day, and about 8 on the next. This time, not so much. Because of Museum hours, I usually started about 9:30-10, and on a couple of days I didn't get out there until about 11. And at 4 it was about time to clean up and pick up.

You should visit the Museum some time, they have quite a list of aircraft and they're getting it all to a pretty good state of restoration. all in all, it's highly educational if you're interested in Wartime Aircraft. Not to mention it's a great place to take kids (or grandkids) . . Let them see and touch some real history. It's more, then, than just pictures on the internet or in a book.

Loren Swelk
05-06-2011, 08:53 AM
It sure beats the heck out of what I did last week. Tremendous job Large, most people do not volunteer that much time or talent to a worthy cause in their lifetime.

large
05-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks Loren.

Most people do not equate their time and abilities to Monetary Donations made by those with money. Sometimes money can't replace those. So if there's things you want to succeed, offer some time to them. You'd be surprised at how much of a difference you can make.

In your particular case, I know that you do spend a lot of time on community projects and non profit endeavors . . That is appreciated and admired by me personally.

colo native
05-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Da#n nice work large.Thanks for donating time and paint for this worthy project.
You still amaze me at time's with the art you can put out.

Bob Nattering
05-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Large,

Thanks for all the info. Fascinating stuff. I will try to get out there soon.

large
05-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Currently they're changing the colors and unit designations on the F-100 and the A-26 is going back Black, with "Vegas Vixen" on the Right side of the nose and the current Unit Crest on the left. Asymmetrical nose art was not uncommon on a lot of combat planes and is even more common on Museum Pieces on display. Some planes are split down the middle with one color combination and nose art on one side and the other, another . . in that manner, honoring more than one pilot or unit.

Another thing about Museum planes, especially WWII combat aircraft, most never saw combat. They were later built models and ended up as surplus, escaping the scrappage by becoming, mostly, forest fire tankers. Almost all of the A-26's were bought as tankers from Davis Monthan Air base between 1956 and 1958, and Frank Tallman did a lot of the conversions . . as time passed several were bought and converted to "Biz Craft" for WWII vets who were now running big corporations . . Most of the smaller stuff, Fighters, Twin engined Attack Bombers, and a few of the PB4Y-1s (Naval version of the B-24) were used as utility aircraft, fire fighters and most either crashed or got repossessed by one bank or another. Often being bought for a little of nothing as derelicts sitting on some deserted airport and then being restored by one museum or another.

Probably the most of any model of WWII Airplane flying (and most still are) is the famous Fighter, the North American P-51 Mustang. There's got to be at least 75 or more scattered around the world. But the number is shrinking, because the guys that fly 'em are getting older, and the parts for the Packards and Allisons that power them are getting harder to find and a lot more expensive . . As well as a crash here and there. Something that will and can happen to high performance aircraft.

Marc.N
05-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Thank you for donating your time, talent and any resources.

Sandra
05-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Large, you should consider doing boxcars. I'd rather see your art on train cars than all that tagging I see.

large
05-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Boxcars? Aww, c'mon now. That's the job of car shops . .

On the other hand, when you take into consideration the cost of materials that the work on some of those cars take, you have to believe the "Artist" is either rich or stupid . .

Of course, that goes for taggers too . . and as far as I know, there are no rich taggers . . Just stupid ones . .

Sandra
05-07-2011, 10:32 AM
It seems that there is legitimate (and I don't mean the quality, I mean the legality) art on most any form of transportation any more except for trains, so that's what I was getting at. I think some artwork would look better than tagging.

Have you seen some of the boxcars graffiti art out there? What a cool business if these guys could get paid to do it instead of just taking it upon themselves.

To be honest, some of it is pretty good:

http://legacythumbs.weheartit.netdna-cdn.com/20090328083652.jpg

http://api.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4309546/2/istockphoto_4309546-boxcar-graffiti.jpg

http://halz-haz-a-say.typepad.com/halz_haz_a_say/images/2007/10/03/picture_1.png

By the way, Large, that plane you did looks good!

large
05-07-2011, 11:22 AM
The trouble with Boxcar Graffiti is, they cover up a lot of the car's information, usually. Those stenciled blocs of lettering on the opposite side/end contain the information about that particular car, which is part of the routing usually.

And it's bad enough that the railroads lose these boxcars frequently, some sitting on some siding a thousand miles away from their intended destination, no need to compound it by putting "Art" or graffiti over them . . Heh, heh . .

Lately, In theory, the RFID has replaced visual reading of the cars, but apparently not so much. they still "lose" Railroad Cars frequently. Mostly Boxcars, but flats have gotten to be scarce as well. If and when you see a boxcar or a flat sitting someplace for a long time, usually with a complete "New" paint job, courtesy some "local artist" . . it's probably "Lost" . .

On the other hand, I just wish I could make a "Rattle Can" work as good as those guys do . . I have a hell of a time making an Airbrush work consistently!

Sandra
05-09-2011, 06:50 AM
I hear most of those graffiti artists do it all freehand, too, which is incredible! I don't think I could ever do that - I have to sketch it out first then after a hundred thousand mistakes I might be ready to break out the brushes. My favorite mediums are watercolors, pencils, and charcoal. But then again, my artwork is vastly different than yours and theirs - and these days, my canvas is usually a sheet of copy paper. lol!

large
05-09-2011, 08:49 AM
and these days, my canvas is usually a sheet of copy paper. lol!

That's where I generally start . . a #2 pencil and a sheet of copy paper, or in some cases, the pencil and a legal pad . . Even a dinner or table napkin if that's what's handy . . Once I had to buy a cloth dinner napkin, it had a sketch on it I didn't want to try to remember . . A good friend of mine who builds cars and I do a lot of designwork over either lunch or breakfast.

And you never know when a good idea will come. Once, on the way back from Albuquerque, I stopped alongside the highway and sketched an Idea on the legal pad i always carry . .

Marc.N
05-10-2011, 05:51 PM
My favorite quote is "Graffiti vandals are artists like Dr. Josef Mengele was a doctor".

Bob Nattering
05-20-2011, 10:54 AM
This isn't about what Large did the week before this thread started, but it is about what I did last week. So I guess you could say, I'm just borrowing Large's thread, because the title fits:

I was in Omaha to see granddaughters in a dance recital. While in Omaha we watched "Hangover" courtesy of Netflix. I had always assumed this would be a juvenile movie well beneath my dignity. Well, it may be below the dignity of a lot of folks, but I thought it was great.

The very next morning, Joe Kernen of CNBC is talking on the phone with David Faber (also of CNBC but not yet at work) about the withdrawal of NASDAQ's bid to take over the NYSE.

Nasdaq OMX and IntercontinentalExchange Inc. (ICE) withdrew their joint $11.3 billion bid for NYSE Euronext on May 16 after the Justice Department threatened a lawsuit. An acquisition “would have substantially eliminated competition for corporate stock listing services, opening and closing stock auction services, off-exchange stock trade reporting services and real-time proprietary equity data products,” the department said.

There's no video of FABER so we're just hearing him on the phone from his home, while the screen displays a still picture of him. During the conversation there is some kind of loud noise over the phone. Then the conversation went like this:

Kernen: I just heard a tiger growling in your room and I think I hear a baby crying. Are you still in Vegas?

Faber: No, I think that was just a trash truck on the street in front of my house.

Kernen: Then that's not Mike Tyson talking in the background and you're not missing a tooth?

Large, Thanks for the use of your thread.

large
05-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Not my thread, it's everybody's to use . .

large
05-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Anybody here go out to the Museum for veteran's day ceremonies and displays?

I couldn't make it because My associate and I were out breaking the engine in his Camaro at the Dragstrip . . . we were aiming at an altitude corrected 9.90 . . missed it by .02 of a second . . Ran a 9.92 (before altitude correction)

Loren Swelk
05-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Nice picture of "Peachy" in the Chieftain today. I am impressed all over again as was the photographer who chose that particular plane to photograph.

Loren Swelk
05-22-2011, 12:25 PM
I couldn't make it because My associate and I were out breaking the engine in his Camaro at the Dragstrip . . . we were aiming at an altitude corrected 9.90 . . missed it by .02 of a second . . Ran a 9.92 (before altitude correction)

I want to take this to the sports forum